Friday 21 March 2014

NEW RELEASE - Far Away In Time by Maria Savva

As you may recall I've read and reviewed a few of Maria Savva's books, and this collection of short stories got an easy 4 stars from me.


Our lives are a series of stories, and we are the characters with the starring roles. The memories, regrets, secrets, and struggles that fill these pages are at once unique and relatable. These stories belong to us all.

Eight unforgettable tales reaching out to a place Far Away In Time...

 
And here's my review:-
A lovely collection of shorts - a real mixed bag - from the criminal to the magical.
 
 
 
I'd read quite a few of Maria Savva's books before and enjoyed in particular Haunted and Coincidences. However, as I don't term myself a short story fan, I was pleasantly surprised to discover I really enjoyed all of these stories, except the first one, The Ghost of Christmas Past - not that it wasn't well-written - it was - I simply found it too disturbing. My favourite was the eponymous Far Away In Time, which came in two parts. The main character was beginning to doubt her sanity, but it was all about everything not being quite what it seemed. She followed the instructions of an old man from her past and managed to inadvertently help prevent a crime from being committed, as she had faith. I loathed with a vengeance the father and stepmother in Betrayal, although I felt sorry for Desiree and the children, and was glad to see that the back-stabbing, selfish gits got their comeuppance. I both felt sorry for the mother in Echoes Of Her Dreams, as well as feeling exasperated at her that she let everyone walk all over her, particularly her sister. She was so eager to please, or never say no to anyone, that her life never really took off. In A Sign, Grace uncovers an object which helps bring joy to an elderly neighbour whilst also questioning the afterlife. A sweet, blossoming romance adds another dimension to the story. Tragedy of Love was just that - so sad. I could completely imagine this having happened at some point - what a waste; a very poignant tale. Mike and Toyah's tale in The Beach had an otherworldliness to it; Mike's dreams seemed so real and the content concerned him and with good reason it seemed. There's something in this collection for everyone


 

 
 
 
And that's not all - we have a rare treat -  a book trailer - feast your eyes!
 
 
You can buy your copy of Far Away In Time via Amazon
 
Tune in again on Monday for another book-related post. Have a great weekend, Sooz

No comments:

Post a Comment