Friday 19 October 2012

Book Review - Love Comes Later by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar

It's Friday and that means book review time!  I was lucky enough to be contacted by Mohana a few months ago, about potentially reviewing her book. I read the blurb (below) and it appealed to me, as I like to learn about new cultures and I love stories set abroad.

So, now it's your turn to read the blurb!


Love Comes Later Hind is granted a temporary reprieve from her impending marriage to Abdulla, her cousin. Little does anyone suspect that the presence of Sangita, her Indian roommate, may shake a carefully constructed future. Torn between loyalties to Hind and a growing attraction to Abdulla, Sangita must choose between friendship and a burgeoning love.

A modern quest for the right to pursue love and happiness, even when it comes in an unconventional package, LOVE COMES LATER explores similarities between the South Asian and Arab cultures while exposing how cultural expectations affect both men and women. Identities are tested and boundaries questioned against the shifting backdrops of Doha, Qatar and London, England.





My Review
An interesting glimpse into life in Qatar and a wonderful love story

I was given a review copy of the novel by the author and asked to provide an independent review.
Reading this on Kindle, for the first 20% of the book, I kind of liked it, but it wasn't holding my attention. But, wow, as soon as I got to 20%, I sprinted through this book and could not put it down. I've never been to Qatar, the nearest I managed was Bahrain, but I love reading and learning about other cultures. There were plenty of twists to keep me enthralled and I couldn't have foreseen the ending.
On the surface, this is a book about arranged marriages, but it goes so much deeper than that. With a great deal of it set in the UK, where the girls are students, it was a lot easier for me to visualise the scenes and attitudes of others.
I could clearly see the girls' apartment, feel the chemistry between certain individuals, understand the frustration of each of the main characters.
Duty, what is honourable, permitted and frowned upon were key elements throughout the novel and in particular women's place in Qatari society.
I loved how the girls rebelled and the presence of an Indian girl, with a similar, but not identical, background, only added to the intrigue. I also felt I learned a lot about both cultures.
The tragedy at the beginning of the book, the loyalty of the younger sister and some of the outrageous events later (culturally) only added to my enjoyment.
All in all, a novel worth reading, particularly if you like to learn about new cultures or if you have ever been fascinated by what goes on behind the scenes with regards to arranged marriages.
 
You can buy Love Comes Later via the following links -
 
Mohana also has various other books, which you might want to take a peek at:-
 
 
Tune in on Sunday, when I will be back with, well, a bit of a surprise really. No Six Sentence Sunday. I have something else in its place, but you'll just have to wait and see.
 
Happy Friday!
Sooz
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment