Friday 10 August 2012

Review for Can't Live Without - Joanne Phillips

Happy Friday! The sun is shining and I am reliably informed that it's not meant to rain until Monday! Yippee! Perhaps my back garden will become less bog-like after the flooding we had last Saturday night! Well, there's one thing about global warming, it keeps you guessing!

And without further ado, let's check out my review of Can't Live Without, by fellow indie author, Joanne Phillips.

Can't Live Without


I was given an Advance Review Copy by the author, in order to provide an independent review.

Contrary to the cover, which I really like, but comes across as being very chick-lit, Can't Live Without is so much more than chick-lit. Rather it's the exploration of relationships and assessing what's important in life. After Stella's house burns down, she changes from being very materialistic to actually focusing on what she can't live without. I particularly enjoyed the relationship between Stella and her daughter and I thought that the trials they went through were very appropriate and would be related to by many parents. I also thought the daughter trying to get the granny onside, driving a wedge between Stella and her mother was very well done. The parallels between the generations, with their similarities and differences was entertaining. The three love rivals vying for Stella's attentions was also interesting and sometimes hysterical to observe. As for the office bitch, I would have dealt with her a lot sooner, I have to say!! I applauded how Stella finally dealt with her.

The sub-plot about Stella's father was genius, although I still don't understand his actions... It took me a while to guess where he was and I had no idea of her mother's involvement, until it was laid bare for me. The sleazy lodger sub-plot was a welcome addition & showed the vulnerability of Stella's mother in the absence of her father. In my mind, this book starts off being similar in type to Dorothy Koomson and then later becomes a bit more chick-lit. It also has plenty of laughs, particularly with the OCD sports car driving neighbour, Stella turning up to work in her slightly smelly gym gear and with the many misunderstandings by her and her love interests. If I didn't already have a fab boyfriend, I would have quite liked Paul to be available! Oh and I loved the finale - including the little quirky detail right at the end - which appealed to my romantic, fun side.
Will be looking out for Joanne's next book later this year.

You can pick up Can't Live Without at Amazon - http://amzn.to/P944un (UK) & http://amzn.to/RvXI7m (Us & other .com)
and she also has a paperback book available for order from Amazon and other outlets - check out her website at www.joannegphillips.wordpress.com for more details

That's it for today folks - check in again on Sunday for the latest instalment of Six Sentence Sunday.
have a great weekend, Sooz

No comments:

Post a Comment