Friday 27 July 2012

Review - In Need of Therapy by Tracie Banister

Yes, it's Friday again & today I bring you a book that I was the first to read - yes! I'm not sure I have ever been the first to read a particular book before, except my own obviously!
Anyway, I had asked Tracie if I could read her book and provide an independent review and she kindly sent me an advance copy - I was sworn to secrecy, as she had scheduled blog posts and FB posts, introducing her characters and the novel in the run-up to launch. Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me not to tell someone?!





How glad was I that I got an advance copy! What a superb read. I've been meaning to read the author's first book, Blame It on the Fame (and I will), but I hadn't quite had time yet. So when I found out In Need of Therapy was launching soon, I was keen to be the first to get my mitts on it. There were so many things that appealed to me about this book. First it's set in Miami and South Florida, where I have spent a fair bit of time, even though I'm Scottish. So I could totally envisage the Art Deco buildings of Ocean Drive, plus the Cuban neighbourhoods, as I had visited Calle Ocho and Little Havana. I also speak Spanish, and I like books which are peppered with little bits of other languages. Ms Banister's portrayal of the Latina family dynamic was hysterical and I thought very on-point.

Pilar's over the top mother with her histrionics had me in stitches, particularly at her birthday party. I had never read a chick-lit novel about a therapist before, so that was novel for me. I think this is maybe because in the UK, we don't undergo as much therapy as in the US. But I really enjoyed this aspect and I guess the author researched it in great detail, as Pilar really seemed to know what she was talking about. I loved Pilar - she was so ditzy in many ways, but very professional and obviously cared greatly for her clients, sometimes really going above and beyond. Pilar's two love interests were superbly drawn.

The smarmy Victor made me want to puke and I totally fell in love with Ford! The sub-plot with the errant male client was also fantastically well described and a little gem of an extra. I could have killed Pilar's sister - she was so selfish and only out for herself. Pilar herself would do anything for anyone, as was seen in the lengths she went to to be a good friend, sister and daughter and was taken advantage by many as a result. There were many twists and turns in this excellent chick-lit tale and plenty of laughs. The bunny boiler female client would have had me running for cover if I were a bloke. The little romantic twist near the end had me laughing out loud.
I don't read so much pure chick-lit any more, but if the author writes another like this, I will happily do so. A laugh a minute read.  And for the record, I think it's under-priced at only £1.32 in the UK!

You can buy In Need of Therapy here: - http://amzn.to/OgBvdK (UK)  & http://amzn.to/ODolWy (US & other .com)

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll love it! thx for commenting, Sooz

    ReplyDelete